As we look back on another year of implementation of Philadelphia’s Greenworks plan, we’re thrilled by the progress our city has made thus far and excited to get to work in 2015, the last year in the plan’s original timeline. If you want to read our past reports to see the progress to date, you can check out our recently updated Resources page, which includes the original 2009 plan and each of our annual progress reports. Look for the final report this summer, and have a happy and safe New Year!
It’s always the season for recycling!
Have you ever thought about recycling your Christmas tree? Philadelphia offers a variety of tree recycling options after the holidays. For over 25 years, the Streets Department’s Sanitation Division has provided citizens with an environmentally friendly alternative for used trees. Real Christmas trees are biodegradable, meaning they can easily be reused or recycled into useful products such as mulch, woodchips, and compost.
If you are considering recycling your tree after the holiday season, you must bring it to one of the designated sites listed below. Trees left on the curb for regular trash pickup will not be recycled. Before you drop off your tree at one of the designated tree-cycling locations, please remember to remove all decorations, tinsel, and lights, and ensure that trees are untied!
Thanks for your commitment to a more sustainable holiday in Philadelphia!
Locations, dates, and times for 2015 Christmas tree recycling:
- Streets Department Sanitation Convenience Centers: Open 8:00am to 6:00pm Monday through Saturday.
- 3033 S. 63rd Street
- Domino Lane & Umbria Street
- State Road & Ashburner Street
- 2601 W. Glenwood Avenue
- 23 Saturday Only drop-off sites throughout the city: Saturday, January 10th and Saturday, January 17th from 9:00am to 3:00pm. Click here to find the most convenient location.
- Community-sponsored treecycling events:
Saturday, January 10th, 2015
- 9:30am-12:30pm: Corner of Memphis St. & Susquehanna Ave. (NKCDC, EKNA, FNA, ORCA)
- 10:00am-4:00pm: Columbus Square Park at 13th & Reed Streets (PSCA, LoMo)
- 10:00am-4:00pm: Orianna Hill Dog Park @ 3rd & Poplar Streets (NLNA)
- 10:00am-4:00pm: Clark Park @ 43rd & Chester Ave (UCGreen, UC District)
- 10:00am-4:00pm: Markward Rec Center @ Taney & Pine Streets (FSRP)
Sunday, January 11th, 2015
- 9:30am-12:30pm: Boy Scouts Headquarters Parking Lot @ 22nd & Spring Streets (LSNA)
- 9:30am-12:30pm: Norwood Fontbonne School on Sunset Ave. (GRINCH)
- 10:00am-4:00pm: Eastern State Penitentiary @ 22nd & Brown Streets (FESPP
- 12:00pm-4:00pm: Ridge Ave. & Scotts Lane (EFCG)
- 1:00pm-4:00pm: Gabbie’s Garden on Chew Ave. (EMAN)